Old 07-13-2018, 01:50 PM
19 years ago this month

It was 19 years ago when i found The Straight Dope. My then wife and kids had just moved back home prior to our divorce and the sdmb (even though it would be years before i signed up) often provided me with a tiny measure of comfort and connection on those first horrible lonely nights. Right back there again this week as the soon to be ex current wife has moved out and we are starting the process of divorce.

Happy anniversary everybody, how was your week?

Last edited by guestchaz; 07-13-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:10 PM
Sorry for what you're going through right now (and back then), guestchaz.

I wasn't one of the original folks who participated in the AOL version of the SDMB, but I was one of the first to sign up on this site, waaaay back in March of 1999. It's been a semi-constant online companion of mine ever since.

I hate to hear that the column is bidding farewell to us all, but I'm glad the board itself will remain. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have this place to visit from time to time.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:02 PM
Charter Member
guestchaz, hang tough.

I'm kinda sorta going thru something similar with wife of 24 years coming "home" Monday so we can negotiate our divorce. She's leaving without the kids, so I'm very soon to be a single Dad of twins. Good thing but it's gonna suck at times. C'est la vie.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:14 PM
Aw, man. What a bummer. Hold your head up.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:47 PM
Charter Member
[The Beatles] It was 19 years ago this month [/The Beatles]

...nah, not as catchy.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestchaz View Post
Happy anniversary everybody, how was your week?
A lot better than it was in 1999. I would kill myself rather than go through that experience again.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:09 AM
I caught the tail-end of the AOL board. But when the board moved to the internet at large, my computer wasn't fast enough to keep up with it. It was wanting to follow the SDMB that pushed me to learn about computers so I could install more RAM in my computer, and follow it to the bigger internet. And ditch AOL, thank goodness.

Sorry for your troubles, guestchaz.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:17 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member
19 years ago, I knew of the Straight Dope from the local artsy newspaper, but I was still fairly new to all this Intrarwebz stuff. I found and joined the board in Aug 2000.

As for my week - just another week. We need rain. That's pretty much all.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:06 PM
Need to vent, and this seemed like the best and only place i can right now. my best friend and confidante who has been helping me through this is in the hospital, she had brain surgery this morning to remove a tumor.

I took my son to family counseling last night, and it was afterwards that he broke down and criedand said he's been feeling sad and hiding it in order to help me out. That was expected by me at some point, but broke my heart all over again after finally getting onto an even keel emotionally this week. Back to sleepless nights and chewing toothpicks in a mostly fruitless attempt to not chain smoke.

I just don't know what to do with myself in the evenings. Days aren't so bad with work keeping me occupied enough mentally. Nights though, and this weekend when Guestling goes to stay with mom, this weekend terrifies me.
Maybe working on the house, all those mundane chores will be enough to keep me from thinking, but probably just stir up a lot of memories.

Well enough of that for now, just needed to get some of that out to someone, anyone, that isn't my mom or dad.

So for those of you that read this and those of you that read my op and expressed sympathy, thank you,

Last edited by guestchaz; 07-19-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:13 PM
Mu sympathies for you china guy, my son is going to live with me also, never been a single dad with primary custody before. Whole new world