Old 07-15-2018, 11:28 AM
cucumbers, condoms, vaseline, and..... hemorrhoid cream
Old 07-15-2018, 11:42 AM
I've had purchases totalling $7.11 at the correct store, but I don't think I've ever had $6.66
Old 07-15-2018, 01:47 PM
Charter Member
I've had $66.66 and a bagger commented on it.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
Obligatory Simpsons link: Homer buying fireworks.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:17 PM
Elephant Whisperer
I don't know about making the cashier uncomfortable, but I remember one time being very uncomfortable myself. I lived at the East-West Center on the U of Hawaii campus as housing staff back when I was a grad student. I had already lived in Thailand before, and another American who had lived in Thailand when I did, but like me had returned to the US, stopped in Hawaii for a visit on his way back to Thailand for a vacation. We were shooting the shit one night, and he brought up his concern about being able to find big-enough condoms in Thailand. (No, really, this isn't a joke.) So I told him, "Well, Mike, if you're really worried, maybe you should pick some up here before you go." So we moved on to other topics and discovered we'd run out of beer close to midnight. There was a supermarket not far from campus that stayed open until 1am, so we went to get more beer. But Mike also picked up this giant package of condoms. So there we were in my regular grocery store, two guys buying two six-packs of beer and a big ol' case of condoms at midnight. My friend was rather innocent and didn't seem to notice my turning red. I got us out of there as fast as I could.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 07-15-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:21 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
Any set of items that total 6.66 (in any currency).
I've had people grab something (anything) else from the counter when their purchases came to $6.66, and one woman refused the penny when her change came to $6.66.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidwithanR View Post
I've had purchases totalling $7.11 at the correct store, but I don't think I've ever had $6.66
Whenever purchases or change comes to $7.11, I always add "And that's a different store." If they come to $2.01, I say "Your total (change is $2.01. And maybe your area code."
Old 07-16-2018, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
Bags of candy, children’s toys, condoms, sleeping pills and duct tape might raise some eyebrows. Especially if you drive a scuzzy white fan.

When I was in college, the town I lived in had laws forbidding the sale of non-food items on Sunday - because they weren’t “necessities”. We kind of liked to torture the cashiers over this - I had a friend who would try to buy tampons just so she could engage the cashier in conversation over why this purchase really was a necessity.

I would do stuff like hit the kids toy section and try to purchase “My First Book About Jesus” or other religious themed toys. Then try to engage the cashier in a philosophical discussion over why she wouldn’t sell it to me because God.

This started when we witnessed a cashier refuse to sell a can of Play-Doh. A mother was shopping with her child, she had the cart full of groceries and the kid was in the seat at the top of the cart, holding the Play-Doh can with delighted anticipation. The kid didn’t want to give it up and went into a full crying screaming meltdown after it was forcibly taken from him. We congratulated the cashier for doing the Lord’s work.

Yeah, we were kind of being dicks, because the cashier was doing the “right” thing in the eyes of the law. But this was in the pre-computer era, so it wasn’t like the registers were programmed not to ring non-food items or to track purchases. And we sometimes got the stuff. One of the cashiers rang up one of the religious toys once without any hesitation - probably because she knew we were playing with her and making us actually spend money on that stupid thing was probably the most vengeful response
Yeah, it's not a bad thing at all to make a minimum-wage employee feel responsible for laws and management they have no control over. Pressuring someone who is probably barely getting by to break the law, and blaming them for God? Gee, won't you feel better when you've lost your job because I deliberately tried to make you feel bad?
Your assessment of your behavior isn't harsh enough.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
I am a store cashier, so my real life top three list:

1. A dozen knives and a piece of carry on luggage. I thought "I hope you are not planning to take those knives on a plane."
2. Six boxes of rubber gloves and a dental mirror. I had a hard time keeping a straight face.
3. The customer came in right after we opened, bought a corkscrew that came to $4.27, put a five dollar bill on the counter and walked out without change of receipt. I wondered about a person that desperate for a corkscrew at 10 o'clock in the morning.
When I worked at Safeway I never really noticed what anyone bought; it was all just *stuff*. Scan it, toss it in a bag, repeat.

The only things that ever really stood out were the random late-night customers buying just a couple of items: a group of kids would come in at like 1130 at night and buy nothing but a cart full of the cheapest toilet paper, or when a couple would come in around the same time at night and buy just strawberries, whipped cream, and condoms. Mostly it was just tired-looking adults buying formula/baby food and diapers.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:01 PM
For making the cahier uncomfortable? I would say a leaking bottle of baby oil first down the belt followed by 100 individual, unwrapped double edged razor blades.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jackson View Post
For making the cahier uncomfortable? I would say a leaking bottle of baby oil first down the belt followed by 100 individual, unwrapped double edged razor blades.
You're a very mean person .
Old 07-16-2018, 04:53 PM
Doughnuts
Doughnut holes
Glue
Old 07-17-2018, 07:49 AM
I remember a guy came through my line with a cantaloupe and two home enemas. Just made me wonder if there was a list or if one of those was an impulse buy.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
What Dirty Dancing style town is this so that I can avoid it?
North Dakota used to be like this; they still don't allow stores to be open before noon on Sunday, presumably because baby Jesus would be sad.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:42 AM
Charter Member
Bergen County, NJ still has Blue (Christian) laws, where stores cannot sell some items on Sunday, including clothes and some toiletries. However, since the store I work in is owned by Hassidic Jewish people and we close two hours before sundown on Friday and stay closed for two hours after sundown on Saturday (we only open Saturday nights in the winter and spring) and are closed on certain Jewish holidays, we can sell anything on Sunday, no restrictions! And we are the only store in town who can do that. We sell a lot on Sunday!

ETA: We get asked how we can do this a lot. I'm amazed people don't know that non-Christian businesses are exempt from blue laws.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 07-17-2018 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:07 AM
Quote:
ETA: We get asked how we can do this a lot. I'm amazed people don't know that non-Christian businesses are exempt from blue laws.
I'm be one of those people that didn't know. I know some laws allow for exemptions based on the generalized notion of religious beliefs, without being specific as to which religion. I'm amazed that a law on the books in the US would make specific reference to an exemption for (or for everyone except) one particular religion.

What does "non-Christian business" mean in this context?

Owned/Operated by someone who is of a religion other than Christianity?
Owned/Operated by someone who is not Christian (this would include atheists/agnostics)?

What evidence do you have to provide in order to establish that you're non-Christian and therefore exempt?
Old 07-17-2018, 01:09 PM
I live about four blocks from where this took place:
https://tdcaa.com/node/520
The place where he bought his bleach, saw, trashbags, etc. is 1 block away from me to the south. 1 block to the east is a liquor store. I was there one night a couple of months after this murder occurred. I was standing in line behind a rather odd-acting young man who was having trouble pulling money out of his pocket. Turns out he was trying not to lift his arm because when he did a HUGE hack saw fell out of his coat and clattered to the floor. The clerk and I both backed away while the guy gathered up his saw, his change, and his liquor.

I saw a kid absolutely freak out a Dollar Tree clerk: he was about 12 and he bought a pregnancy test.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Bergen County, NJ still has Blue (Christian) laws, where stores cannot sell some items on Sunday, including clothes and some toiletries. However, since the store I work in is owned by Hassidic Jewish people and we close two hours before sundown on Friday and stay closed for two hours after sundown on Saturday (we only open Saturday nights in the winter and spring) and are closed on certain Jewish holidays, we can sell anything on Sunday, no restrictions! And we are the only store in town who can do that. We sell a lot on Sunday!

Wait, which town specifically is this? Teaneck?
Old 07-17-2018, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
North Dakota used to be like this; they still don't allow stores to be open before noon on Sunday, presumably because baby Jesus would be sad.
I mean I've heard of places that don't serve liquor on Sundays, and I've tried to buy beer at 12:04 am in Florida (4 minutes after the cutoff). And I live in a den of sin. But places banning non-food is new to me.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:51 PM
Charter Member
You can't buy a car on Sunday in Indiana - does that count?
Old 07-17-2018, 06:24 PM
Quote:

...and I'm amazed that "a Christian business" is a thing, other than one selling religious paraphernalia. Does the money have Jesus' picture on it when you buy something at one of these "Christian businesses"?

OK, for a "mom & pop" where the owners are Christian and no one else works there, it makes at least some sense to tell them that they can't work on Sundays. But it certainly doesn't make sense to do that to a business with employees.

And are "Jewish businesses" forced to close on Saturdays and Jewish holidays? (And so on, for all other religions)
Old 07-17-2018, 07:08 PM
Charter Member
I'm surprised that there are still blue laws. I would think that they'd be unconstitutional.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
I'm surprised that there are still blue laws. I would think that they'd be unconstitutional.
In Paramus, at least- home to Bergen County's largest number of shopping malls and strictest blue laws- people keep voting to keep the blue laws so as to have one day a week where they don't have to deal with the rest of the county's traffic.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:06 PM
Real sightings:

When I was working as a movie projectionist, and Kroger had just started staying open 24hrs., and I got paid nightly, I used to stop by on my way home from work to pick up stuff, around 1am, sometimes a little later.

Once, I was behind a guy who was buying nothing but a four-pack of D-cell batteries, and a big jar of Vaseline. Could have been totally innocent, but I had evil thoughts.

Another time, it was just amusing: I was behind a relatively young woman (maybe 20-21) using WIC coupons to buy like 10 cans of baby formula, and was also buying diapers, and other baby stuff, and in addition, a very big box of condoms. She learned her lesson.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:16 PM
Quote:
...and I'm amazed that "a Christian business" is a thing, other than one selling religious paraphernalia. Does the money have Jesus' picture on it when you buy something at one of these "Christian businesses"?

OK, for a "mom & pop" where the owners are Christian and no one else works there, it makes at least some sense to tell them that they can't work on Sundays. But it certainly doesn't make sense to do that to a business with employees.

And are "Jewish businesses" forced to close on Saturdays and Jewish holidays? (And so on, for all other religions)
If Jews own a store, they can pay gentile workers to keep it open on Shabbes, but that is if it is something like an auto shop, or a Best Buy franchise, or something. If it's some kind of business of special interest to Jews, like a kosher restaurant, or a gallery that displays Jewish artists' work, the assumption is that there would not be enough business from gentiles to make it worth keeping open on Shabbes, and moreover, you might make Jews think it's acceptable to go there on Shabbes. So Jewish-owned shops that are also Jewish-themed are going to be closed on Shabbes.

It also is true that in many municipalities, Jewish businesses are exempt from blue laws that would otherwise force them to close on Sunday. But the assumption is that many of their patrons are Jewish, and would not be in church anyway.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Which constitutional protection would they violate though? This is done at the state level, and for blue laws like alcohol, some states have preemption, meaning that localities cannot pass stricter laws. Other states allow towns and counties to pass their own laws.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:22 PM
Quote:
They are, but many Christians think freedom of religion only applies to them. Real freedom of religion includes freedom FROM religion, for those who prefer that. Under strict freedom of religion, the simple statement "I'm not religious" would be perfect certification for opening your business on Sunday. Christians don't have to buy liquor on Sunday if they don't want to.

Last edited by DavidwithanR; 07-17-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:51 PM
K-Y jelly and a hamster.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:19 AM
I was a checkout clerk at Safeway for a couple of years.

There wasn't anything you could buy that I would've been bothered about.

Customers could be embarrassed, though. The younger a condom buyer was, the more likely they would be weird about it (that stuff was locked up after too much shoplifting). Younger me understands.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Nationwide christian businesses Hobby Lobby and Chick-Fil-A are both closed on Sundays all over the US.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:46 AM
Charter Member
If the company on its own initiative chooses to close on some days, well, that's a business decision, and it's their decision to make, no matter what the reasons. But that's different than the government mandating that "Christian businesses" close on Sundays.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:44 PM
Charter Member
Yes, Bergen County still has Christian "blue laws." In order to have them not apply to your business, you have to be closed from 2 hours before sunset on Friday and stay closed until 2 hours after sunset on Saturday, and be closed for all major Jewish religious holidays. And the government people do come out and check on this once in a while. And any and all food you sell has to be certified kosher. We only sell paevre and/or kosher dairy items.

While the store is located in a town with a large Jewish population (Teaneck, NJ), we get all religions in there. My favorites are the Christians who shop there on Sundays, Christmas and Easter.