Old 09-19-2001, 09:22 PM
I know this is sort of academic, but to fight a little of my own ignorance...I have heard newscasters refer to bin Laden's organization as 'al ka-eed-ah,' 'al kaid-ah,' 'al ka-aid-ah'...

Any dopers know the correct pronunciation (if there is one)?

Thank you.
Old 09-19-2001, 11:23 PM
Mod Rocker
I do not speak Arabic, but I would guess that it is your third option.
Old 09-20-2001, 12:01 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
According to The Voice of America pronunciation guide, it's
Quote:
al K-EYE-eh-duh
Apparently K-EYE is intended to represent one syllable (the accented one).

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 AM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: 7mm allen wrench pof message board bluto brutus garment-dyed i swerve board what is hentai ghetto silencer insufficient postage usps firefly blue hands carbonaro effect fake most useless element perv artistry shojo meaning coprophagia humans soma addiction conn a ship the shortbus altoid tangerine sours yankee etymology silverfish larva driver dealer passengers side sloth attack lesley gore pictures brylcreem for beard zantac gas stephen hawking overrated national bohemian logo ups package delayed dental slap stallion penis size how did banks work before computers simon bar sinister peter dinklage why does south park make fun of canada what does port wine taste like left electric oven on all night how to get a hummingbird out of your house may we contact your supervisor golden retriever ear smell how to store popcorn does the dog die in the drop roman numeral for 666 coca cola syrup for upset stomach concrete mesh vs rebar how to attach a newel post to the floor motels you can live in washing a dry clean only comforter sons of anarchy sucks suffer the children meaning what happens if you eat a battery lost car titles illinois do i need to replace rotors with pads does beer get old subaru forester leaking oil do you tip aaa tow truck drivers polish for good luck 7:30 to 4:30 crate and barrel price match bowling alley equipment cost how old are you in the 2nd grade how long should i wait for a date to show up can diesel fuel be used as heating oil difference between umpire and referee how to recarbonate soda