Old 10-31-2001, 03:26 PM
I've always wondered if there has been any studies done on the affect marijuana has on different types of animals.

I have this friend who tried to get his cat stoned. He told me he unloaded about 10 bong hits into the cat's face and it had basically no affect. *I was thinking the cat just preferred better weed and didn't inhale. *

Anyway, could someone enlighten me on this subject?

;j
Old 10-31-2001, 03:41 PM
Well, according to the veterinary medicine department at Purdue, animals will avoid marijuana in nature because it has toxic affects. Not good.

That affect appears unrelated to marijuana's hallucinogenic properties, though; according to this press release from the National Institute on Drug Abuse, animals will self-administer THC as well as cocaine. So research animals sure appear to get something out of it, but won't go after it in the wild.

Anyway, your friend is trying to hard. If he wants to get his cat high, he should be giving it catnip. It's a mild hallucinogen, and works on about half of all cats.
Old 10-31-2001, 04:14 PM
Thanks pldennison!

I found this interesting from the site you referenced.

"Signs can include nervousness and disorientation which can progress to depression, trembling, vomiting (in those species that can vomit), and sometimes diarrhea and breathing difficulties."

It appears cats and other animals do avoid it in the wild, but if forced into consuming or inhaling smoke from the plant they get pretty sick.

I guess the expectations of a cat with cotton mouth and the munchies are a bit far fetched.
Old 10-31-2001, 07:25 PM
I personally find it repugnant what your friend did.

Isn't that kind of cruel?
Old 10-31-2001, 07:38 PM
~~We have a skink here that gives off some sort of hallucinogen
when it gets caught.. Cats catch these and start flipping out..

Cats are already half tripping as it is so getting them high
can't be a good thing..

So... I guess they can..I don't know..
Old 10-31-2001, 08:50 PM
My friend has a litte dog, I forget what type exactly. Its incredibly tiny and is the size of a small cat. Anyways, the dog loves weed. If anyone leaves bud out then the cat eats it on site. I think she just likes the taste of the weed though.
Old 10-31-2001, 09:06 PM
Dude, I poisoned my roommates cat!
Old 10-31-2001, 09:31 PM
My friends got my cat stoned once.. he seemed really nervous and he just stood on top of my bed, staring out the window.
Old 10-31-2001, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Guinastasia
I personally find it repugnant what your friend did.

Isn't that kind of cruel?
I agree. I smoke regularly but never would I try to give it to an animal.
Old 10-31-2001, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by musicguy
Anyone else find this odd? If it's so awful to give to an animal, then why do you do it to yourself?

Next thing you know, we'll be eating the dog's leftovers.
Old 11-01-2001, 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dale The Bold

Anyone else find this odd? If it's so awful to give to an animal, then why do you do it to yourself?

Next thing you know, we'll be eating the dog's leftovers.

--It's not too odd. It's called "Do as I say, not as I do." How many adults smoke cigarettes or drink coffee but forbid their most precious animals (their children) to do it?
Old 11-01-2001, 01:33 AM
I got my cat stoned back in college. A couple of times, not always. The cat would be a little frisky, but not as coordinated as usual, for a brief time. He then went to sleep. Waking up about 45 minutes later and eating.

I think the cat was stoned.
Old 11-01-2001, 05:50 AM
The OP begs the question: Is there a hardcore stoner alive that doesn't own a cat? Not that I've seen.

I guess bull mastiffs are a little more difficult to control in THC-fueled experiments.
Old 11-01-2001, 07:00 AM
Cats also flip out over parts of the cotton plant, for some odd reason. I had some raw cotton, a bit of the stems, and some roots in my garage and when the cat found them it just flipped out. Rolling all over them, crying (its a Siamese cat), jumping and running...the whole bit. I get the same way with Northern Neck Polio Pot.
Old 11-01-2001, 07:03 AM
i personally know 2 cats who are potheads. i claim this because they will be in any room of the house and if they smell burning marijuana, they run to it and try to be sneaky and sit nest to the person with it, just begging for a hit. it might be poisonous, i don't know; people enjoy poisoning themselves: too much alcohol, psychadelic mushrooms. . . perhaps these are sadistic cats. or they just like to get high.
Old 11-01-2001, 07:04 AM
Because a cat cannot consent to getting stoned.
Old 11-01-2001, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Guinastasia
Because a cat cannot consent to getting stoned.
i second that.

and, we cats simply hate marijuana. catnip is such a better brand and quality, and we don't ruin it by burning it either stupid humans.

*d&r*

When you bang your head against a pot, and it sounds hollow, that doesn't necessarily mean its the pot that's empty.
Old 11-01-2001, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by plnnr
..I get the same way with Northern Neck Polio Pot.
plnnr, what the hell is Northern Neck Polio Pot?
Old 11-01-2001, 04:13 PM
I agree with the whole consent thing. However, I have known cats who seem to like it.

That said: Just as kids shouldn't smoke, kittens shouldn't either. Some friends of mine let their kitten "smoke", and it had had development problems. Grew up with a tiny head, and some other problems, whose specific nature I forget.
Old 11-01-2001, 04:53 PM
<smartass>

If your aim is good.

</smartass>

*duck and run*
Old 11-01-2001, 05:17 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
I'm not sure whether "getting a cat stoned is cruel" is a debatable proposition (as in, who would take the other side?). But if it were, we have a forum for that.
Old 11-01-2001, 07:37 PM
My cat and my friends cat (years ago) were like jkbelle mentioned. They both would come running when we would fire up. We'd blow smoke in their faces and they'd crawl up on our chests to get more. Neither seemed to like the smell od the smoke, but would put up with it to get the effect.
Then they'd wobble around and play for a while before taking a nap. No munchies, though.
Both lived to a ripe old age. And died happy, I'm sure.
I promise, Guinastasia, we never forced them. In fact, it got to be annoying after a while.
A lot of dogs will eat pot. And get weird.
Peace,
mangeorge (Loves his kitty)
Old 11-01-2001, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by manhattan
I'm not sure whether "getting a cat stoned is cruel" is a debatable proposition (as in, who would take the other side?). But if it were, we have a forum for that.
I'm sorry, Manny. You're right. But I still think it should be said that drugging an animal is somewhat cruel.
Old 11-01-2001, 09:06 PM
Charter Member
Dogs like beer.

Generally.
Old 11-02-2001, 12:07 AM
I have a friend who has a huge Great Dane, and when he'd light up a doobie, the dog would paw at him. If he didn't blow smoke on the dog, it would start whimpering and then howling. Weird... After smoking up, the dog would curl up and sleep.
Old 11-02-2001, 12:27 AM
BANNED
I've known a few dogs that actively tried to get stoned, but never a cat. My friend had a dog that would get up in his face whenever he had a joint, my friend would cup his hands around the dogs snout and blow smoke at him. The dog would then sit down and stare at stuff until he fell asleep.
Old 11-02-2001, 08:24 AM
FTR, I rescind my use of my second cite above, the link to the NIDA. Apparently, after further investigation, their methodology is, er, less than sound, and their control groups far too small to render their results useful. Also, it would appear that they are a group with a major agenda that colors all of their results.
Old 11-02-2001, 10:53 AM
I had a neighbor who had a nice, big old Orange cat and he used to get it stoned. I don't recall how, but it consisted of blowing smoke at the poor beast and he said it made the cat wobble around, until he got the cat too stoned and killed it. That made me angry. I think he used to put the cat in a paper bag and blow smoke in there, but whatever he did, eventually the cat died and it had been a nice cat also so I do not suggest you try to get your cat stoned.

Besides, if you love your cat, you're not going to do anything to endanger it, and if you don't love it, then you'd better give it to someone who will.

Besides, it has been proven that pot increases the heartbeat as it is, so if your cat has a heart problem, that could injure it. I read in medical reports where older people, using pot, can suffer from heart attacks and just because pot makes you giggle and have fun does not mean it will do it to a cat. I know people who do not get giggly when they use pot, but spacey and anxious.

No, don't try to get your cat stoned. That is animal abuse.
Old 11-02-2001, 11:03 AM
Linear

The Northern Neck of Virginia is a peninsula of about half a dozen counties, lying between the Rapphannock and Potomac Rivers. I've known several people out that way that produce some of the most incredible stuff. We began calling it "polio pot" because it was of such a strength that a very little bit will leave you just sitting on the couch, unable to move. Very, very potent stuff.
Old 11-02-2001, 11:10 AM
Jeez J248974, can you score us a bag of whatever you're smoking?

We used to blow smoke in cat's ears because that's where so many blood vessels are but I forget what it did to them.

Cookie?
Old 11-02-2001, 11:12 AM
I agree you shouldn't try to drug your pets. But I'm also guessing that those of you who have tried by exhaling their own hits into their faces, have not drugged their pets anyway.

I can't back this up with a link or other reference, but I'm pretty sure almost all the psychoactive properties of marijuana smoke are expended in the first inhalation. Secondhand marijuana smoke can't make anyone fail a drug test, so I doubt it could make a person (or cat) high either.

But does catnip really make a cat "high" or "drunk" in the way we know the terms?
Old 11-02-2001, 11:20 AM
BANNED
I used to get my cat stoned all the time. She definitely got the munchies, but only the first couple of times.

I stopped doing it when all her hair started falling out.
Old 11-02-2001, 12:03 PM
I don't know about cats, but apparently, mice don't do well at raves.

http://thisislondon.com/dynamic/...text_id=424979
Old 11-02-2001, 02:49 PM
Of course cats can get stoned. Certain unscrupulous pet stores openly sell an exotic herbal product exactly for that purpose. It's called "catnip."

Although in retrospect, I shouldn't have given catnip to my cat Zazou. It made him act normal.
Old 11-02-2001, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Fiver
....but I'm pretty sure almost all the psychoactive properties of marijuana smoke are expended in the first inhalation. Secondhand marijuana smoke can't make anyone fail a drug test, so I doubt it could make a person (or cat) high either.
Fiver,

From my personal experiences, second hand marijuana smoke still has some punch to it. My ex-girlfriend hated to use a pipe or bong so I use to exhale my tokes directly into her mouth. She use to get just as stoned as myself during these sessions. I'm not sure of the term for this but the word "shotgun" comes to mind.

Quote:
Originally posted by JET
I stopped doing it when all her hair started falling out.
Stoned Bald Cats....band name?

Old 11-02-2001, 06:56 PM
Capo di tutti capi
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by plnnr
Cats also flip out over parts of the cotton plant, for some odd reason. I had some raw cotton, a bit of the stems, and some roots in my garage and when the cat found them it just flipped out. Rolling all over them, crying (its a Siamese cat), jumping and running...the whole bit. I get the same way with Northern Neck Polio Pot.
Your cat may have a vitamin or mineral deficiency, cats that flip out over cotton or wool like that (some even eat it) are often missing some element in their diet.

I had a cat like that, he ate big holes in sweaters. Interestingly enough, also a Siamese, but I don't know if the breed is more prone to this sort of thing by nature or if it's just that they're picky eaters. (Every Siamese I've ever known has been finicky.)

Dunno what we can do to help YOU, though . . .

your humble TubaDiva
Old 11-02-2001, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Exactly. And toss that chocolate in the garbage, too. Anything that's bad for cats and dogs is bad for people, too!
Old 11-03-2001, 02:18 AM
BANNED
Never been a smoker myself, but my best friend was a regular toker. He had this big orange cat that he used to put in a paper bag and blow smoke into via the joint-in-mouth-backward method. I knew this cat well, trust me he was high.
FTR, I agree: whacky-tobaccy + cats = cruel
Old 11-03-2001, 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by jkbelle
people enjoy poisoning themselves: too much alcohol, psychadelic mushrooms. . .
Where in gods green earth did you get the idea that mushrooms are poisonous? Physically, thats not true at all. Well unless you eat an obscene amount of 'shrooms, but odds are if you eat that much you will probely kill yourself before the 'shrooms kill you. 'Shrooms are not going to hurt your body. They can hurt your mind, but not your body.
Old 11-03-2001, 03:18 AM
I cannot believe animal cruelty even made it into this thread.

Though I was a toker in high school none of us ever did it around animals. We always "heard about this dude" who blew it as his dog and the dog "went wild" or "crazy" or what-have you.

I would imagine that there are probably many, many chemicals which will affect both humans and cats similarly, but the most important question is: how could the cat ask for another toke?

"Hey pass that shit over here, man." denying th cat pleasure may be even crueler, methinks...
Old 11-03-2001, 03:19 AM
shit

No, I am not channeling Wildest Bill, before anyone asks. Christ, that was a lot of typos. Sorry 'bout that.

always seems to happen in drug threads...
Old 11-03-2001, 09:42 AM
the reason you "trip" off psylocibin is because it IS poison. when eating mushrooms that are supposed to get you high, you truly have to be careful, because if the cultivator didn't know what he was doing, you could die. you can check http://erowid.org for specifics.
one of my friends in high school ate about 3-5 grams of 'shrooms and had to be rushed to the hospital at the "peak" of his trip. his heart stopped three times that night and had to be reccessitated in the ER. but, i don't think the addresses the OP at all, just wanted to respond to solomon7t's claim.
i still think it's ok to let a cat smoke if she begs for is by her own will. trippin on the other hand. . . another topic for another thread. . .
Old 11-03-2001, 09:48 AM
oh yeah, i don't see anything wrong with poisoning yourself to a certain degree. just be responsible about it, no need to bring anyone else down with you either.
Old 11-04-2001, 12:37 AM
It just occured to me, Linear Crack, that after 10 hits your friend himself probably wouldn't be in any shape to judge the weeds effect on his cat.
BTW; You know that silly psuedo-nursing that some adult cats like to do? My friends cat would do that a lot when it got high.
Peace,
mangeorge
Old 11-04-2001, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Quote:

Well, because I enjoy it's effects and I think it is pretty safe compared to some other substances. But, I'm sure not going to presume that another species, or even another member of my own species for that matter will.
Old 11-04-2001, 01:45 PM
I once had a roommate that fed LSD to his cat once.
The cat lost it's sense of balance and could no longer jump from the chair to the ground without sprawling all over the floor. It was so sad. But it made me really think my roommate was committing slow suicide of his own brain.
Old 11-05-2001, 05:46 AM
possums

I don't know about cats (tried it once but the cat fled and hid for a day) but we have real problems with possums in New Zealand. They are very good at finding plantations of weed and devouring the lot. It is not too uncommon to find stoned possums wandering dazed near your crop. The only thing to do is to use lots of possum traps and netting to try and keep them.
Old 11-07-2001, 04:56 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally posted by Fiver

I can't back this up with a link or other reference, but I'm pretty sure almost all the psychoactive properties of marijuana smoke are expended in the first inhalation. Secondhand marijuana smoke can't make anyone fail a drug test, so I doubt it could make a person (or cat) high either.
I had a friend who cheats at being clean and sober (she's in AA) by breathing the exhaled smoke from those who smoke pot. She gets high, especially when we were smoking hydro.
Old 11-07-2001, 08:03 AM
Quote:
I once had a roommate that fed LSD to his cat once.
The cat lost it's sense of balance and could no longer jump from the chair to the ground without sprawling all over the floor.
This thread is really making me sad.