Old 11-03-2001, 05:15 PM
BANNED
What is that strange egg-shaped creature in the animated Zoloft™ commercial? It's egg-shaped but seems to propel itself like a slug. And if it's an egg, why does it have eyes and a mouth and live outside?
Old 11-03-2001, 05:34 PM
It's a personification of the manifestation of evil and good within a person's spiritual essence or ki, and it is egg-shaped to represent the power of the ego, id, and superego over conflicts of good vs. evil and such.

Christ, I thought this sort of thing was obvious.
Old 11-03-2001, 05:49 PM
Really? I thought Zoloft was an anti-depressant for rocks.
After he finished his work on conditioning dogs, Ivan Petrovich Pavlov ambitiously tried his theories on angels, eventually training a flock of them to go and get their wings from a rack when signaled with a bell.
Old 11-03-2001, 05:57 PM
It doesn't live outside, per se. It lives under a cliff. It also likes ladybugs.

What I wonder is that "no one knows what depression is caused by, but some say it's broken nerve communication. Zoloft fixes this," or something like that. What if depression isn't caused by this? Zoloft™ won't work! Can you say "class action lawsuit?"
Old 11-03-2001, 06:17 PM
Something I've wondered.......for sufferers of depression, is it insulting to have such a serious disease personified by a little cartoon character? I think he's kind of cute myself.
Old 11-03-2001, 06:17 PM
I love that creature, it's so cute, especially when it's hopping after that bug.

--John
Old 11-03-2001, 09:48 PM
Hmm, I haven't seen that one, but I do like the one for the heartburn treatment with the little animated stomach checking out of the "Heartburn Hotel". It propels itself by kind of hopping. I think it even carries a little suitcase.

I must watch more TV.
Old 11-04-2001, 10:26 AM
That Prevacid™ commercial is a good one, though I imagine Elvis® is rolling in his grave...
Old 11-04-2001, 04:39 PM
Yeah, ditto...I LOVE little Zoloft!! It's so cute. Every time I see it, or better yet, a new one, I cheer. He's so sweet when he's sad, and I love when he's happy and jumping with the ladybug. Sure, he's just animated, but goshdarn if he isn't the greatest little animated round thing I've ever seen.
Old 11-04-2001, 05:16 PM
I hate those commercials for drugs where they say to ask your doctor about it *but never say what the drug does*. Could lead to some embarrassment, don't you think?
Old 11-04-2001, 10:41 PM
That blob is me!!

Hehe..Okay I'm joking.

But the first time I saw that with my b/f, he exclaimed "Hey its you Jess!" I cracked up because I refer to myself as the blob and am actually on anti-depressants. Except we argued about whether or not I live under a cliff..
Old 11-05-2001, 09:56 AM
I'm pretty sure the cute little Zoloft critter is a member of the Schmoo family.
Old 11-05-2001, 05:00 PM
I love Schmoo!
Old 11-05-2001, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ElwoodCuse
I hate those commercials for drugs where they say to ask your doctor about it *but never say what the drug does*. Could lead to some embarrassment, don't you think?
If I recall correctly, if the ad doesn't say what the drug is for, then it's not necessary to list the side effects.

Once you say what it's for, then you have to follow on with "...may cause drowsiness, love of country music, ill-fitting pants, glossolalia, heebie-jeebies, delusions of grandeur, embarrasing confessions, teen lust, internalized vestigial siblings, tourette's syndrome, munchausen-by-proxy, enjoyment of Bob Saget, desire to lick car windows, inability to comprehend peanut butter, small voices telling you to do bad things ('off your parents!'), small voices telling you to do good things ('floss! call your mom!'), inability to throw frisbees, etc.".
Old 11-05-2001, 10:55 PM
I like the little Zoloft blob! I have a scary feeling that it is, in fact, the larval form of a Family Circus child. (Same basic head shape, just add arms and legs.)

Spooky!