Old 11-16-2001, 09:09 AM
We all know that people who can't hear are deaf, and that people who can't see are blind. Is there a word or words for people who can't smell, taste, or feel?
Old 11-16-2001, 09:15 AM
Dysosmia.
Old 11-16-2001, 09:18 AM
well, I thought the name of the condition was "anosmia" so the sufferer would be "anosmic".
Old 11-16-2001, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Sam
We all know that people who can't hear are deaf, and that people who can't see are blind. Is there a word or words for people who can't smell, taste, or feel?
Covered by the Master:
What's the term for people who can't smell or taste?
Quote:
The technical term for the inability to smell is anosmia, and a person who is unable to detect smells is anosmic. The inability to taste is ageusia, and a (literally) tasteless person presumably would be an ageusiatic.
A related term is dysgeusia, the condition of having an abnormal, presumably bad, taste in your mouth. This word offers a range of uses. Basic application: "Marge, that velvet Elvis painting is the last word in dysgeusia." "Thanks, we're the envy of the trailer park."
It's actually been covered twice, here's another column: What is the term for people who lack the sense of taste? Tasteless?
Quote:
The technical term for the inability to smell is anosmia, and a person who is unable to detect smells is anosmic. The inability to taste is ageusia, and a (literally) tasteless person presumably would be an ageusiatic. These terms allow one to express oneself in an honest yet tactful manner. Thus:

Vaguely Important Looking Person at party: "I thought Demi Moore gave a compelling performance in Striptease."

You: "Goodness, you must be an anosmic ageusiatic."(1)

VILP: "No, actually I'm a Presbyterian from Cleveland."

A related term is dysgeusia, the condition of having an abnormal, presumably bad, taste in your mouth.

(1) "You have no taste and you can't tell when something smells."
Old 11-16-2001, 09:22 AM
I will probably hate myself for saying this in public, but it's bothered me for years.

If you can't smell, do you need a smelling-nose dog?

It seems like they'd be so well fitted for it.

Not being able to smell seems really odd at first thought, but it's even stranger when you consider how much of your sense of taste is bound up with smelling. Someone who cannot smell also cannot taste properly. I've always imagined this disorder must exist, but never heard of anyone witbh it.
After he finished his work on conditioning dogs, Ivan Petrovich Pavlov ambitiously tried his theories on angels, eventually training a flock of them to go and get their wings from a rack when signaled with a bell.
Old 11-16-2001, 09:44 AM
My dog has no nose.
How does he smell?
Awful.
Old 11-16-2001, 09:49 AM
A friend of mine has no sense of smell. He says if he's ever trapped in a post-apocalyptic, Mad Max type world, he's gonna raise skunks. Nobody would bother him.
Old 11-16-2001, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Phobos
My dog has no nose.
How does he smell?
Awful.
That joke stinks.
Old 11-16-2001, 12:20 PM
olfactorily disabled

Out of respect and consideration for those among us who (unfortunately) cannot smell, I think we need to use a more politically correct term which I therefore coined:

olfactorily challenged

Please refer to the poor people who can't smell this way so they won't have to be constantly confronted with their handicap.
Old 11-16-2001, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by CalMeacham
I will probably hate myself for saying this in public, but it's bothered me for years.

If you can't smell, do you need a smelling-nose dog?
My dad lost his sense of smell, due to sinus problems, and he could definitely use a smelling-nose dog. As it is, when I'm home from college, I become a smelling-nose daughter, and my mom does duty as a smelling-nose wife. It's very much annoying to be called out to the garage and asked where the dead-rat smell is coming from.