Old 11-18-2001, 09:00 PM
My friend told me other day that to much shredded wheat would be bad for you because the excess fiber would start to rip up your stomach. Is this true? And even so, wouldn't it end up taking 2 boxes a day for a week for something bad to happen?
Old 11-18-2001, 09:33 PM
It doesn't "rip up your stomach" as such, but unfortunately it is possible to get an intestinal blockage from eating too much fiber. These websites have guidelines for how much fiber a person should be eating.

http://ianr.unl.edu/pubs/foods/nf62.HTM
Quote:
Placing too much emphasis on one type of fiber or fiber-rich food is risky. Achieving balance in eating dietary sources of fiber is a key concept. Excessive intakes of insoluble fibers such as wheat bran to the exclusion of soluble fibers will result in a bulky diet but the benefits of the soluble fiber will be lost. Furthermore, excessive fiber intake without adequate fluid intake can result in abdominal pain and discomfort.

<snip>

Drink plenty of fluids. Six to eight glasses a day will help reduce the risk of abdominal discomfort and intestinal blockage caused by too much fiber.
http://everythingaboutfood.com/f..._much_1129.htm
Quote:
An excessive amount of dietary fiber can interfere with body's absorption of calcium, zinc and iron. In addition, huge amounts of fiber can cause intestinal blockage. Drink plenty of water when eating foods high in fiber to help minimize irritation and blockage.
You can do a Google search for "intestinal blockage fiber" and find out more than you ever wanted to know about plugged-up intestinal tracts.

http://google.com
Old 11-18-2001, 09:38 PM
BANNED
too much fibre basically means you aint gonna get enough nutrients cos everything gets forced through too quick.
Old 11-18-2001, 10:54 PM
Eat too much of it, and your legs go numb and fall off from sitting on the toilet...
Old 11-18-2001, 11:26 PM

Good to know. I've been on a Shredded Wheat jag lately. No intestinal problems yet!
Old 11-19-2001, 12:25 AM
BANNED
Oh goodie I'll be the first one to hijack this thread

So you know how people use the laxatives to lose weight. Could you do this with shredded wheat?

Yeah I know that is really bad for you. Just want to know though. I love wheat thins and shredded wheat.
Old 11-19-2001, 02:49 AM
BANNED
it's best to eat fibre foods before a main meal, not after. eg have an apple/orange before a meal. this because it clears you digestive system nicely, but if you just eaten it clears the food you just ate too!
Old 11-19-2001, 06:02 PM
Charter Member
How can too much shredded wheat be bad for you?

Quote:
If you had too much water it would be bad for you, wouldn't it? "Too much" precisely means that quantity which is excessive, that's what it means.
Could you ever say "too much water is good for you"? I mean if it's too much it's too much. Too much of anything is too much. Obviously. Jesus.
From 'Doctor Tobacco' by Fry and Laurie
Old 11-20-2001, 12:46 PM
Charter Member
Actually, shredded wheat is a mediocre source of fiber. Strawberries are actually better. My favorite: Fiber One! Either that or Colon Blow.

Here's a list of fiber content. fiber content of foods

BTW, as an intern, I got to assist in the surgery of a guy who ate so much sauerkraut it caused a small bowel obstruction. When that section of the bowel was opened, I could whiff it thru the mask! I've been unable to eat sauerkraut since.

QtM
Old 03-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Fiber

I foolishly ate a copious amount of Shredded Wheat last week. I've been clogged up for days. Too much fiber all at once when you're used to a very little is not a good idea. If you're going to start eating this, I would recommend doing so very slowly and with small portions, and drink plenty of liquids.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:11 AM
Even Zombies should increase their fiber intake gradually and make sure they're drinking lots of extra water. People often forget the extra water part, but fiber sucks up water, and if you're not drinking extra, you basically end up with gobs of glue in you.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
BTW, as an intern, I got to assist in the surgery of a guy who ate so much sauerkraut it caused a small bowel obstruction. When that section of the bowel was opened, I could whiff it thru the mask! I've been unable to eat sauerkraut since.

QtM
Your anecdotes never fail to tickle my funny bone.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post

QtM
in the years since you posted this have you been able to eat it again?
Old 03-14-2011, 12:17 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpost View Post
in the years since you posted this have you been able to eat it again?
I just paged Dr. Qadgop to come answer this question. Hopefully he will respond STAT.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Charter Member
I can eat the red cabbage variety, as that wasn't what was in the intestine.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:21 PM
I am reminded of this brief verse about the Russian famine:
On Nevsky bridge a Russian stood
Chewing his beard for lack of food.
Said he, "It's tough this stuff to eat,
But it's a darn sight better than Shredded Wheat!"
Old 03-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Sure too much could be bad for you. Suppose a shipping pallet of shredded wheat fell on your head, for example?
Old 03-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Charter Member
The Master Speaks